1847 Bagshaw’s History, Gazetteer & Directory

The entry for Sutton-at-Hone is long, and Bagshaw gives a history of the Parish

Sutton at Hone is a parish and considerable village, 2 1/2 miles SSE from Dartford, on the west side of the Darenth, and was formerly of such importance as to give name to the whole Lathe: it was called in Latin Suthuna, from its situation south of the town of Dartford, and had the addition of “At Hone” from its lying low in the valley.
The parish contains 3587 acres, 2rods, 1pole of land, of which 408 are in woods : the soil is various, chiefly light, stony, and much inclined to gravel, though there is a good deal of fertile land in the southern part. The parish had in 1841, 244 houses and 1,128 inhabitants; population in 1801, 690; in 1831, 1021 ; rateable value , £5,935 17s 6d. M. Campbell, Esq. is principal land owner, but Sir P.H. Dyke, Mr Mumford, Revds John and Charles Edgerton, and others, are also owners. A. E. Mumford is lady of the manor.

The Church is a spacious edifice north of the village, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, consisting of two aisles and a chancel, with a tower steeple at the west end, containing three bells. It contains many handsome monuments and tablets; on the south side is a stately monument, on which, under an arch richly ornamented, lies the figure of a man at full length, in his robes, for Sir Thomas Smith, of Sutton Place, ambassador to the Emperor of Russia. At the entrance to the chancel are two folding doors of oak, carved with gothic work, on the upper part of which are scrolls, and on each door a full face carved, with a tongue through a buckle hanging out of the mouth, being an illusion to an ancient family in this parish of the name of Puckletongue. A former church was accidentally burnt down in 1615, by a person firing off a gun in the interior at a bird that had taken shelter in it.

The living is a vicarage, valued in the King’s books at £10; now £564: patrons and appropriators, dean and Chapter of Rochester; incumbent, Rev John Hallett Hotham. King Henry I granted the church of Sutton with the chapels of Kingsdown and Wilmington, to the priory of St. Andrew, Rochester.

In the year 1253, Lawrence, Bishop of Rochester, appropriated and confirmed to the priory this church, with the above chapels, towards the support of the almonry, provided that the said church and chapels should be served by a proper vicar. In consequence of this appropriation, the parishes of Sutton and Wilmington continued one parsonage, with two distinct vicarages, which were settled on the dean and chapter of Rochester by Henry VIII, part of whose possessions they still remain.

The manor of Sutton-at-Hone, in the reign of King John, was given to the Knight’s Hospitallers, who had a commandery established here: this was a convenient mansion, in which there was a society of these Knights placed, who were to take care of their rents and lands in the neighbourhood of it: of the mansion the north side only remains, which was formerly the chapel belonging to it, this has long since been converted into a dwelling house, and was almost rebuilt in the year 1755; it is now the residence of Mrs Mumford, lady of the manor of Sutton-at-Hone.

Sutton Place – formerly called Brook Place, was a mansion of considerable extent and beauty; it was partly pulled down and modernised by John Mumford, Esq. about the year 1780 ; and is now the seat of Mumford Campbell, Esq., who is lord of the manor of St. John’s.

Highlands is a manor in the parish, so called from its high situation, of which Sir P.H. Dyke is lord.

Hawley is a hamlet 1 mile N. from Sutton at Hone; here is an extensive mill for the manufacture of paper.

Swanley, or Swanley-street, is a considerable hamlet, 2 miles W of the village of Sutton at Hone, and at the south-west extremity of the parish; at this place much fruit is grown. 1670, Abraham Hill, Esq., planted an orchard of the most curious fruits from Devonshire and Herefordshire, both apples and pears, with the intent of introducing them among the orchards of this county.

Katherine Wrote, by will, 1596, bequeathed £110, and directed her executors to build an almshouse for four poor persons. She also devised certain property, and directed the yearly profits thereof to be divided amongst the inmates. These premises now produce £12 a year, which is carried to the overseers account : the almshouses are kept in repair by the parish, and the inmates are appointed by the overseers.

Abraham Hill, Esq., in 1720, built two houses, and his heirs, as lords of the manor of St. John’s have the right of appointing a poor person to one of the houses. His daughter allotted a small field adjoingin, for gardens and other uses.

Thomas Smith, in 1625, gave the yearly sum of £5 10s. for a distribution of bread, vested in the Skinners’ Company; who, since 1822, have also paid £17 10s as a portion of surplus rents – this sum is expended in clothing, and given amongst the poor.

Thomas Terry, by will, 1628, gave to the poor of this parish a house and land at Deane in Horton; now let for £8 a year. The rent is paid to the overseers, and carried to the account of the poor’s rates: this seems an improper application of the money, and not according to the object of the donor.

Catherine Ramme, in 1572, gave a yearly sum of 20s, out of a farm in Gillingham, for the use of the poor: £7 was received from the tenant in 1831, which was improperly carried to the account of the rates.

The lessee of the parsonage of Sutton delivers to the churchwardens 20 bushels of peas and 2 of wheat yearly, which are given to the poor of the parish.

There are 4 acres of land, formerly given for the repairs of the church.

Rev Edw. Allen, M.A.
Geo. Andrus, Gentleman
Wm. Barham, plumber and glazier
Spencer Barnes, parish clerk
Mumford Campbell, esq.
Fredk Church, baker
Henry Hall, Esq, Hill Cottage
Rev. John Hallett Hotham, vicarage
Mrs Jane Leigh, Hawley House
J. F. Medhurst, butcher
Mrs Ann Eleanor Mumford, St John’s
Rev John Nevill (Baptist)
Rd. Smith, saddler & harness maker
Mr Henry Staples
Henry Sydell, tailor
Wm. Tebay & Son, wheelwrights

Geo. Beanham, basket maker
Mrs E King
Henry Lamb, Esq, Rookery
Wm Wiggins, paper manufacturer, Hawley Mills

Mr Richard Clayton
Mr Richard Ray
Mrs Mary Staples,
John Whitehead, fruiterer

Inns & Taverns
Bull – Thomas Acton, Hawley
Red Lion – Wm Alchin, Swanley
Ship – Thos Packman, Sutton at Hone

Geo Bills (& bricklayer), Sutton at Hone
Wm Glover, Swanley
John Mills, Swanley

James Harber, Sutton at Hone
Wm Tebay & Son, Sutton at Hone
Wm Clarke, Swanley

Boot Shoemakers
Amos Coldwell, Sutton at Hone
Wm Glover, Swanley
Thos Skinner, Swanley
Edw Vaughan, Swanley
Wm Viner, Sutton at Hone

Wm Acton, Sutton at Hone
Aaron Turner, Swanley

Corn Millers
Eliz Green, Sutton at Hone
Thos Whiting, Sutton at Hone

John Cooper, Sutton at Hone
Wm Cooper, Sutton at Hone
Thos Wm Elgar, Sutton at Hone
Thos Elliott, Swanley
Edw Hogg, Hawley
John Nevill, Sutton at Hone
Thos Nevill, Sutton at Hone
Edw Pointer, Swanley
Wm Skeates, Swanley
Henry Staples, Swanley
John Staples, Swanley
Thos Staples, Swanley
Wm Staples, Swanley

Geo Creasey, Sutton at Hone
Chas Hammond, Swanley
Elias Ball Johnson (& school master), Sutton at Hone
Wm Staples, Swanley
Saml Tapsfield, Sutton at Hone