Sutton at Hone is a village and parish, giving its name to a lathe, pleasantly situated on the west side of the river Darenth and on the road to Sevenoaks, 3 miles south from Dartford, 7 south west from Gravesend and 18 from London, in the North Western division of the county, Axton Hundred, Dartford petty sessional division, Union and county court district, and in the rural deanery of East Dartford, archdeaconry of Maidstone and diocese of Canterbury; there is a station at Farningham Road on the London, Chatham and Dover railway.
The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of flint, with stone dressings, in the Decorated and Later styles and consists of chancel, nave, south aisle with an arcade of four arches, south porch and a western tower of rude construction containing 3 bells; the pews have Jacobean woodwork with the linen pattern and the pulpit is of the same character; in the south pier of the chancel is a hagioscope, formed by a rude slit, and on each pier a kind of stone ledge, probably connected with the rood loft; the south-east window of the chancel is extended downwards so s to form a sedile, and near it is a piscina of late Decorated or transition work; in the chancel is a monument to Sir Thomas Smith, 1625; the west window is a memorial to Jane Chapman, erected by her sister Ann Eleanor Mumford : and the other windows of the church are all stained. there are 400 persons. The register dates from the year 1607.
The living is a vicarage; tithe rent charge £470, gross yearly value £520, including 21 acres of glebe with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Rochester, and held since 1881 by the Rev. Walter John Weeks. Here are Wesleyan and Baptist Chapels. There are almshouses for four persons and the poor have £15 yearly from Sir T. Smith’s charity, which is in the hands of the Skinners’ Company of London.
Here was once a Preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem, founded by Robert Basing in the reign of King John. Mrs Fleet is lady of the manor of St John of Jerusalem, and John Johnson esq. Lord of the manor of Sutton. The principal landowners are Thomas Horn Fleet esq D.L., J.P. of The Grange, Dartford and the Rt. Hon Sir William Hart Dyke, bart, M.P., P.C. of Lullingstone Castle. The soil is loam with gravel; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and beans and fruit is grown. The area is 3,614 acres, about 400 acres of woodland and 11 of water: rateable value £23,623; and the population in 1881 was 1,160.
Holmfield is half a mile south west and Burnt House, half a mile north west; At Hawley, 1 ½ miles north, are paper mills.
Parish Clerk – Thomas Aldworth
Post & Money Order Office & Savings Bank & Annuity & Insurance Office– Miss Mary Evans, receiver. Letters arrive from Dartford at 7 and 11.30am; dispatched at 9.30am &11.30am, & 7.15pm. Sunday delivery, dispatch 10.50am. The nearest telegraph office is South Darenth.
Wall Letter Box – near Hill Cottage, collected at 9.25 & 11.35am & 7pm; Sunday 10.45am; Hawley, collected 9.40 & 11.15am & 7.35om; Sunday 11.20am; & at Farningham Road railway station, cleared at 8am, 12 noon & 6.30pm; Sunday 8am.
National School, built in 1860 for 80 boys and 110 girls & infants; average attendance, boys 74, girls & infants 90; Edward Royce Barnacle, master; Miss Mary Frith, mistress
Railway Station, Farningham Road – J. Stanford, station master
E. A. Clowes, Sutton Place
Lieut.-Col Thomas English, The Rookery, Hawley
George Arthur Gilman, Northcote
Hy Edward Gilman, Sutton House, Hawley
John Johnson, Sutton Court
John Temple Johnson, Sutton Court
William Francis Lace
James Barrows Lockington, Sutton Lodge
Miss Lott, Mill House
Mrs Maddocks, Ryecroft
Robert Marchant, Cedar Lawn
Thomas Bold Marchant, Broakoak
John K.S. Masters, Hawley House
Joseph Thomas Millbourn, Hawley Mill House
Frederick William Moore, Hill Cottage
John Russell, St John’s
Ebenezer David Silver, M.D., Rectory
Rev. Walter John Weeks, Vicarage
Charles Wright, Hawley
James Acton, carpenter
Mark Atkins, baker
Stephen Barnes, bricklayer
Benjamin Bowers, Insurance agent
William Bowers, plumber & painter
George Thomas Crook, wheelwright
Edward Davis, basket maker
Miss Mary Evans, dress maker & post office
Robert Eyles, shopkeeper
James Garett, blacksmith & ironmonger
Edward Thomas Godden, miller (water)
Robert Godden, Bull Inn, Hawley
Charles Hall, boot maker
Walter Harber, blacksmith
William Francis Lace, surgeon
William Kennard, butcher
Richard Lane, baker
James Langlands, farmer
Edward Charles Langley, beer retailer
James Langridge, farm bailiff to J. Johnson, esq.
Charles Lester, baker
Packman & Erry, grocers & drapers
George Parker, coal merchant & agent to Shepherd , Neame & Co. brewers & London Manure Co. Railway Station; & at Swanley & Eynsford
Charles Pike, miller (water)
John Quinton, beer retailer, Hawley
John William Reynolds, bricklayer
William Henry Rogers, grocer & draper
Jn Russell, farmer & landowner, St John’s
James Frederick Santer, beer retailer
Thomas Harry Saunders & Co, paper makers, Hawley Mills
Robert Smith, florist, Hawley
William Robert Stedman, relieving officer & collector to Guardians No.3 district, Dartford union. Register of marriages, deputy registrar of births & death, school attendance & inquiry officer, Farningham sub district.
Sutton at Hone Village Club (W.R. Stedman, sec.)
Mrs Susannah Morgan Sydell, shopkeeper
Thomas Townsend, shopkeeper
Henry Warrington, insurance agent
Charles Watson, Ship P.H.
Thomas William Watts, beer retailer
Arthur Windgett, green grocer
William Henry Wotton, carpenter