Sutton at Hone is a village and parish, giving its name to a lathe, pleasantly situated on the west side of the river Darenth and on the road to Sevenoaks, 3 miles south from Dartford, 7 south west from Gravesend and 18 from London, in the North Western division of the county, Axton Hundred, Dartford petty sessional division, Union and county court district, and in the rural deanery of East Dartford, archdeaconry of Maidstone; there is a station at Farningham Road on the South Eastern and Chatham railway, which is the junction of the Gravesend branch.
The church of St. John the Baptist is a building in the Decorated and Later styles, with 3 bells; the pews have Jacobean woodwork with the linen pattern and the pulpit is of the same character; there is a piscina of late Decorated or Transition work; in the chancel is a monument to Sir Thomas Smythe, ob 1625; the west window is a memorial to Jane Chapman, and the other windows of the church are all stained. there are 400 persons. The register dates from the year 1607.
The living is a vicarage; net yearly value £300, including 21 acres of glebe with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Rochester, and held since 1881 by the Rev. Walter John Weeks. Here is Baptist, erected in 1842, seating 140, Wesleyan and Unsectarian chapels and Salvation Army barracks. The cemetery is 1 ½ acres in extent, but there is no mortuary chapel; it is under the control of the Praish Council. There are almshouses for four persons and the poor have £12 10s, and other benefactions, administered by the Parish Council, from Sir T. Smythe’s charity, which is in the hands of the Skinners’ Company of London, and controlled by the life trustee, John Temple-Johnson esq.
Here was once a Preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem, founded by Robert Basing in the reign of King John. Mrs Fleet, of Darenth, who is lady of the manor of St John of Jerusalem, John Temple Johnson esq.of 49 Brunswick Square, Hove, Sussex, Lord of the manor of Sutton, and Mrs Temple-Johnson are the principal landowners.
The soil is loam with gravel; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and beans and fruit is grown. The area is 3,612 acres, about 400 acres of woodland and 13 of water: rateable value £32,468; and the population in 1901 was, civil 4,650, ecclesiastical 1,590.
Holmfield is half a mile south west and Burnt House, half a mile north west; At Hawley, 1 ½ miles north, has paper mills and several nursery grounds.
Post & Money Order Office & Savings Bank & Annuity & Insurance Office– Mrs Elise Parott, sub Postmistress. Letters arrive from Dartford at 7 and 11.30am; dispatched at 9.40am &12.5pm, & 7.10pm. Sunday delivery 7.10am, dispatch 10.15am. The nearest telegraph office is South Darenth, 1 mile distant.
Wall Letter Box – cleared 9.25 & 11.35am & 7pm; Sunday 10.25am;
Hawley – Post & Money Order Office & Savings Bank & Annuity & Insurance Office– Charles William Butters, sub-postmaster. Letters through Dartford delivered at 6.45 and 11.20am; dispatched at 9.55am &11.20am, & 7.35pm. Sunday delivery 6.45am, dispatched 11.20am. The nearest telegraph office is at Dartford, 1 mile distant.
National School, built in 1860 and enlarged in 1901, for 120 boys and 110 girls & infants; average attendance, 85 boys, 90ngirls & 60 infants; Edward Royce Barnacle, master; Miss Annie Cooke, mistresst; Miss Louisa Hill infants’, mistress
Railway Station, Farningham Road – George A. Thomason, station master.
Frank Bailey M.I.C.E., Sutton Lodge
Henry Josiah Garrett, Sutton Court
William Francis Lace, Hill Cottage
Mrs Lane, 1 Holmesdale Place
Miss Lott, Mill House
Mrs Maddocks, Ryecroft
Oswald C. Magniac, Sutton Place
Robert Marchant, Cedar Lawn
John Russell, St John’s
Ebenezer David Silver, M.D., Rectory
Joseph James Smith, Cedar Lawn
Rev. Walter John Weeks, Vicarage
James Acton, carpenter
Edmund Barlow, shopkeeper
James Birch, plumber & etc
Mrs Sarah Ann Bowers, Insurance agent
Cemetery (John R Phillips, clerk to the Parish Council)
Frederick Cook, farm bailiff to John Temple-Johnson esq.
Crick & Co, printers
Thomas Dancer, nurseryman
Edward Davis, basket maker
George James Garrett, agricultural machinist, ironmonger & general smith
James Harber, blacksmith
William Thomas Kennard, butcher
Henry King, baker
William Joseph King, draper & grocer
William Francis Lace M.R.C.S. Eng, L.S.A. surgeon & certifying factory surgeon, see Smith & Lace
Leonard Lane, baker
James Langlands, farmer, Homefield
Edward Harry Langley, beer retailer
Augustus George Leavey, dairyman
Mrs Elise Parrott, shopkeeper & Post Office
John Robert Philips, assistant overseer and clerk to Parish Council, 5 Holmesdale place
Charles Pike, miller (water)
Henry Redsell, shopkeeper
John William Reynolds, bricklayer
William Henry Rogers, grocer & draper
John Russell, farmer & landowner, St John’s
Seaborne Coal & Coke Co (Henry Edwin parker, manager), coal merchants & agents to Shepherd Neame & Co, brewers, Farningham Road railway station
Benjamin Simmon, watercress grower
Smith & Lace, surgeons
George Henry Sparrow, tailor
George A Thomason, station master, Farningham Road railway station
Miss Caroline Tyler, shopkeeper
Henry Courtenay Vereker, steward to John Temple-Johnson, esq.
Charles Watson, Ship P.H.
Percy Whatmore, baker
Henry Edward Williamson, beer retailer
R. D. & Co Whitmee, horticulturists, The Nurseries; & at Birchwood Park Nurseries, Swanley Junction
Arthur Windget, nurseryman
James Sherlaw Armstrong
Lieut.-Col Thomas English, The Rookery, Hawley
Hy Edward Gilman, Sutton House, Hawley
Wm Quilter Orchardson R.A., D.C.L., Hawley House
Henry Sawyer, South View Villa
Charles Scott-Chisholme, White Lodge
Thomas Baillie, nurseryman
Charles Wm Butters, grocer, Post Office
Elijah England, Bull Inn
Alfred Groom, nurseryman
Wilmot Haynes, nurseryman
Thomas Jackson, farmer
Edward Martin, nurseryman
Andrew Thomas Noton, nurseryman
Frederick Quinton, beer retailer
T.H. Saunders & Co Limited, paper makers, Hawley Mills
Robert Smith, florist, Hawley
Wm Johnson Stevens & Son, carmen
William James Taylor, nurseryman
Henry James Thomas, nurseryman